Saturday, June 30, 2007

Mama Zeiner goes back to work

Thursday June 28 was Mama Zeiner's first day back to work in almost 5 months. This was a day that honestly I was dreading, not because of work per se but because of leaving the little love of my life for the first time. Before this day, the most I had been away from Zane was about 5 hours. I feel so fortunate that I did get so much quality time with him at the beginning of his life, and like all working moms I had contemplated staying home for good. But it was time to be a grown-up and Thursday was the day. I picked Thursday because I knew I was not ready for a full week away from Zane and with the July 4th holiday afterwards, it gave me some transition time back to work. Amgen gives a summer break at July 4th with a full week of vacation. Luckily my boss is amazing and agreed that this is fine and I was able to catch up on all sorts of misc stuff (like over 2000 emails) before I head back into lab on July 9th.

So how was my first day? It was not only fine, but great. I came back to not just work, but also to a family. I realized how much I had missed my co-workers, friends and the lab. I am a "lab rat" through and through and I look forward to getting back to the bench. I have been with Amgen for 4 years and I feel very comfortable there. I am glad to return.

Zane is doing fine too. Thursday and Friday Zane stayed home with dad. His daycare will not start until August 1st, so dad will stay home for a few more weeks in July and Nana and Papa will come out at the end to help fill in the gaps. Zane loved spending time with daddy, and Gus learned a few things too. =) His is a wonderful and dedicated father. I am very lucky.

That's the update with my life. Hope everyone has a nice July 4th.
Dianna

No comments: