Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Please pray for my mom

May 26. 2009 Update: My mother was released from the hospital this morning. On Friday May 22, Cris underwent an angioplasty with a local anesthetic. The surgery went well, and although my mother was on Valium she was awake the entire surgery. (Wow - there were no issues of her blood pressure dropping too low. Can you imagine?) After surgery, mom instantly became more aware and better apt to speak. Thank you for your prayers for my mother. Thank you for your prayers for me and my family. Cris is at home recuperating and trying to adjust to new medications and a new diet. The initial worry of post surgery issues (i.e. stroke and infection) dramatically decrease after 3-4 days. From this perspective, she is doing well. Assuming that everything goes well, Cris should be able to return to work in a week or two. Hang in there Mom, I love you!

Some of you may know what I am about to write, although for some of you this will be the first to hear of the double grief in our family. At first I could not mentally process both my Mother's medical situation and the fate of little Bryce. This morning I realized that so many people are already praying for our family, that it would be easy for them to pray about my mother too.

The Monday we discovered Bryce was a boy and was celebrating his life and new name, my mother had a stroke. The Saturday before Easter, Dianna was concerned about a conversation (or lack there of) she was having with her mother and called an ambulance to come to her house in Houston. She refused medical care. Nana and Papa immediately drove down to Houston and took her to the hospital on Easter. The CATscan did not reveal a stroke but it was determined that she was having a transient ischemic attack (TIA). For those of you who do not know what it is, let's call it a prestroke or a mini-stroke (although technically this is incorrect, but you can get the idea). After this, there were many follow up appointments with doctors, and my mother promised to actually go and take care of herself. My mother does not like to go to doctors (for reasons that are not necessary clear to me), but never less she promised to go and came through with her promise.

Last Monday, she had an appointment with a neurologist and instantly while conversing with her, he could tell that she was either still in mid-stroke or had a stroke. He ordered an MRI (more sensitive than a CATscan) and it was apparently obvious she was in stroke. I found out the news of my mother the same day I learned of Bryce's condition.

Since then, my mother has had two medical procedures, one testing the exact extent and location of the blocking and the second an attempted angioplasty (clearing of the blockage). The first test results showed that my mother's left carotid artery (neck) was 90% blocked. A small artery behind her left eye is also blocked (currently causing vision issues). The angioplasty was not able to even begin, because my mother had a reaction to the anesthesia that caused her blood pressure to drop too low. Now the doctors are trying to determine a different procedure to rectify both the blockage and the anesthesia issue. The head cardiologist at the hospital will do the procedure, but the exact details of the procedure are unclear at the moment.

My mother is currently resting in the hospital, alert and fine. She calls me every day. She is able to have a conversation and speaks quite clearly, but things like simple math and numbers are hard for her.

I need you to pray for my mother Cris Lester. To give her the strength she needs to get through this crisis, knowing that she is also grieving about her lost grandson Bryce. To give her the knowledge that her only daughter will survive this grief, and that her son-in-law Gusti and little Zane will recover as well. My mother lives alone in Houston right now. Her partner Elba, is dying of liver failure and lives with her sister near the hospital that cares for her. My mother has multiple griefs right now. Please pray for all of them.

I need you to pray for my grandmother Rae Lester (Nana) and my grandfather Aubrey Lester (Papa). To give them the strength to travel to and care for my mother. To give them the peace to know that I understand that they can not be here with me and our family. My grandmother is literally sick that she is not here in San Francisco. But what could anyone in this situation do? I have my support team, my mother needs Nana and Papa. Give them the comfort in knowing that they are doing the best they can to take care of their family.

I need you to pray for the medical staff. To give the doctors the insight and knowledge they need to help my mother. Give them the hands they need to successfully handle her next operation. Her doctor and nurses have answered my mother's questions about trying to understand Bryce's condition. They have been compassionate enough to know when she is on the phone with me and let her converse without interruption. While waiting to deliver Bryce, I had a wonderful heartfelt talk with my mother. I truly appreciate this.

And finally please pray for myself, Zane and Gus, because we simply can not handle another loss at this moment.

Thank you,
Dianna

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Charlie, please know everyone is in our prayers. I called Karen and she gave me an update and promised to call with any news. Mark left a message on Cris' cell phone. You and all of yours are in our prayers as you go through these most difficult of times. I love you! Brenda